Sunday, September 13, 2009

Ouch! That was tough!

After not being able to complete Ironman Canada recently it was time to make some changes! I have unfortunately suffered from the dreaded stress fracture my fair share over the last year and was looking for another way of working those running muscles other than water running, x-trainer, you name it, I have tried it! What was going to work!!
After talking to a number of athletes who have used power cranks and my doctor I determined this may be the saviour I am looking for!
Not only to help improve my cycling, but aid in making me a more efficient runner and prevent that excess pounding when it seems at this point in time my body can't take it!
The truth is I have nothing to lose so why not!
So here I am day one, the bike was set up yesterday and today I attempted to ride with them on the trainer, just to be safe!
Oh my gosh! What a work out!
Thank god I had only set myself a target of 10 minutes!
I could feel muscles working that I never normally feel when I am cycling and I had built up a sweat after only 5 minutes.
This is going to be tough!
My plan is to use them on alternate days to when I am running and slowly build up the time.
It will be interesting to see how the legs feel tomorrow but it is obvious I have a lot of work to do on my pedal efficiency.
I am looking forward to the challenge!

1 comment:

  1. Kate, congrats on the beginning of your PowerCranks start! Was it anything you were expecting?

    ReplyDelete